On rainy or snowy days nothing chases those blues away quite like hot buttered rum. This epic and cozy drink will certainly boost everyone’s hygge spirits. When I get home after a long day at work I don’t want to whip up an entire batter for only one hot buttered rum drink. So I started experimenting with the recipe. I hope you enjoy! It has been my “secret” recipe for awhile to “wow” my friends… it’s an easy crowed pleaser as an after dinner desert cocktail as well!
- 1/2 tablespoon of grass fed butter (regular butter is perfectly fine! I just use it for the taste and it’s supposedly healthier for you)
- 1/2 tablespoon dark brown sugar (or sweeten to taste)
- A pinch of hazelnut
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of cloves
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 8 ounces of hot water
- 1 ounce of your favorite dark rum (or add to taste… or make it a double if it has been a particularly rough day)
- Place the butter in the mug and melt in the microwave for 10-15 seconds or until the butter is melted.
- Next add all the dry ingredients into the mug with the butter and mix with a spoon.
- Then add 8 ounces of hot water to the mug leaving enough room for stirring or frothing. ( I highly recommend whipping the ingredients with a handheld milk frother. They are not very expensive and you can find them on amazon for prices between $5-$20. Just search “milk frother” in the search bar. )
- Once the ingredients are mixed to your liking add the dark rum.
- Stir. Sip. Enjoy!!
Extra tips: Add a splash of cream before whipping if you like it creamier. You can also sprinkle a little extra cinnamon on top as a finishing garnish.